Subject: bug#35502: 27.0.50; encode-time apparently stopped working

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 20:00:50 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 10:54:48 -0700, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> said:

    Paul> Although I don't use macOS I rigged up a version of mktime
    Paul> on Fedora that reproduced the problem. The bug I found
    Paul> doesn't have anything to do with ATTRIBUTE_COLD; it's an
    Paul> unportable assumption in the emacs/src/timefns.c. I
    Paul> installed the attached into master to fix the bug I found;
    Paul> please give it a try.

My first reaction was "that¼s the wrong branch of the code, nargs ==
9", and then my brain reset. Time to walk away from the computer for a
while.

That patch fixes roundtripping for me, thanks.

    Paul> * src/timefns.c (Fencode_time): Ignore DST flag when the
    Paul> zone is numeric or is a cons, as the doc string says
    Paul> it€s ignored in that case, and not ignoring it
            ^^^
That shows as "\xe2\x80\x99" for me in Gnus. I thought commit messages
were supposed to be ASCII only?

Robert