Subject: Re: bug#35495: 27.0.50; Untarring an archive with a keyring.gpg inside

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 09:48:31 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 20:24:02 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked], Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
> 
> I think there should be a way to tell `write-region` that the content
> should be written as-is into the file (and hence override jka-compr and
> epa but not tramp).

It isn't clear to me how you distinguish between the file-name
handlers that should and shouldn't be disabled here.  I assume you are
aware that Tramp doesn't necessarily send the file's contents verbatim
over the wire?

One way of teaching find-file-name-handler to distinguish between
various handlers is to have some properties on the handlers' symbols.
Then we could bind some variable to the list of properties to filter
out "unwanted" handlers.  But we should come up with a useful list of
properties first, and for that we need a clear distinction I ask about
above.