Subject: [bug#35493] [PATCH 1/3] gnu: slim: Allow customisation of Xorg display.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 15:55:53 +0200

Hi Diego,

Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> The patch LGTM.  Just one question: did you submit it upstream (is there
>> still an upstream?), and if so, could we add the URL of upstream’s
>> tracking software or an indication about the submission?
>
> I did not submit it upstream (the most likely candidate seems to be this
> [0] even though it is not mentioned e.g. on the ArchWiki), since the
> general consensus seems to be that the project has been abandoned.

That makes sense.

I’ve applied the 3 patches and confirmed that
gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl, which uses SLiM, still works
correctly.

However, I’ve noticed that this changes the name of the default Shepherd
service from ‘xorg-server’ to ‘xorg-server-vt7’.

What about generating an ‘xorg-server’ Shepherd service that would
depend on all the ‘xorg-server-vtN’ services?  Hmm that wouldn’t be
entirely equivalent: ‘herd start xorg-server’ would start them all, but
‘herd stop xorg-server’ wouldn’t stop any of them.

Perhaps a simple fix is, when there’s only one server launched, to have
the Shepherd service provide both ‘xorg-server-vtN’ and ‘xorg-server’.
Or to special-case vt7 such that the service for vt7 provides both
‘xorg-server’ and ‘xorg-server-vt7’.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.