Subject: bug#35457: 26.2; global-auto-revert-mode cause 100% cpu usage

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:03:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yes, only the one line. I'll file a bug report on freebsd's bugzilla.
>
> I suggest to wait for Michael Albinus to chime in, perhaps he will
> have some insight on this.

I've tested on a FreeBSD 10 system, with Emacs compiled according to the
emacs-26.2 git tag. Also not reproducible.

Maybe you have some global init files which make the difference? Try

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
emacs -Q --eval "(global-auto-revert-mode 1)"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

'top' for emacs starts with 5% cpu, and decreases then.

On that FreeBSD 10 system, I cannot run X applications (it is a limited
virtual machine). So you could also try in order to have my config

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
emacs -Q -nw --eval "(global-auto-revert-mode 1)"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.