Subject: Re: [bug#35456] [PATCH 0/1] Add 'guix install', 'guix remove', and 'guix upgrade'

From: Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 13:26:42 +0200

On 4/27/19 6:25 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Thoughts?  Rejection?  Happiness?  :-)

I think we shouldn't do this for the 1.0 release. We should take some
time here. One reason is that it's quite some work to get this
documented and then translated...

The idea of offering new commands for often used ones, is very good.
Personally I would also like to have 'guix search' and 'guix show', as I
use them quite often :)

What I like about the guix command line interface, is the consistency
and logic. Especially if I compare it with some random (open)SUSE tool
like zypper, which has a almost 50 subcommands ("zypper SUBCOMMAND").
That's something we shouldn't imitate.

I feel that grouping commands in subcommands and subsubcommands like
with 'guix system' is a good idea. At the moment I see there some room
for improvement.

We have a lot of developer commands directly under 'guix', like
download, link etc. But the most "end-user" commands are under 'guix
package' or 'guix system'...

For 'guix system' it could make sense to move 'guix system
{container,vm-image,disk,docker-image}' to something like 'guix create'.

Just my five cents :)
Jonathan