Subject: bug#35452: Fwd: bug#35452: Line number faces should check for remapping of the default face

From: Dario Gjorgjevski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 11:05:06 +0200

> Thanks, but I don't think I understand the advantages of this approach
> vs the current one.  Concretely, why would we want not to inherit
> from the 'default' face?

Indeed, there is no reason not to inherit from the default face.  In
fact, what I suggested was making the inheritance _always hold_, i.e.,
despite of the user's definitions of the line number faces.  Which
brings us to the next point you brought up...

> Also, doesn't your change force the line-number face to change
> together with 'default', even if the user defines the face to not
> inherit from 'default'?  With the current code, users are free to
> define the face without inheritance, and that will stop update the
> line-number face together with 'default', e.g. when the user enlarges
> the default face's font or makes it smaller.  With your proposal, the
> size changes in 'default' will always be propagated to line-number,
> right?

I agree with you.  In fact, this is exactly the reason why I had
suggested the change -- I was using a theme were the line number faces
were not set to inherit from default, and realized that
text-scale-adjust does not affect them.

> And finally, if we do make the proposed change, shouldn't we stop
> inheriting from 'default' at the same time?

Absolutely.

With all this being said, I agree with you that it is best to let the
user choose whether he or she wants the line number faces to inherit
from the default one.

--
Dario Gjorgjevski :: [email-masked] :: +389 (0)70 784 142