Subject: bug#35433: closed (Re: bug#35433: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 23:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35433: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35433: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35433
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35433: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 01:18:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Then replace "which means it" with "or".

Ok, I just did that in 84a3da15e9 and close the report - thanks for your
assistance (will probably not be the last time I need help with
wording).

BTW, what I found a bit inconsistent in that manual node was that
sometimes the verb and the noun are sometimes called
"byte-compile"/"byte-compiler" (with hyphen) and sometimes "byte
compile"/"byte compiler" (without).  Dunno if it matters and that should
be more consistent.

Thanks,

Michael.

Subject: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 05:40:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I wonder if we should add to the docstring of `function' that when the
argument is a symbol, several checks are performed: it is checked
whether the function will be defined at run-time and whether the
function is obsolete, for example.

The current docstring doesn't suggest that function-quoting symbols has
any advantages, but these warnings are also useful for users' init
files, people that are not always informed what "argument is byte
compiled" implies.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 38, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-04-26 built on drachen
Repository revision: a43eea1bc82acce627d489a32f706572b27e6f7f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid