Subject: bug#35433: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 18:55:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 01:39:49 +0200
> >
> > +When @var{function-object} is a symbol and the code is byte compiled,
> > +the byte-compiler will warn should that function be undefined or may
> > +be unknown at run-time.
>
> I'd say "... will warn if that function is not defined, which means
> it might not be known at run time" instead.

No, these are two different cases: (1) function not known when
compiling, and (2) known to the compiler but function may still be
unknown when the compiled code is run, because the compiled file misses
`require' statements, for example.

> "Undefined" and "unknown" sound vague and more ominous to me.

Well, I tried to reuse the words from the actual compiler warnings - see
`byte-compile-warn-about-unresolved-functions'.  I may change "may be
unknown" to "may not be known" - unless you have a better idea:

+When @var{function-object} is a symbol and the code is byte compiled,
+the byte-compiler will warn should that function be undefined or may
+not be known at run-time.

Thanks,

Michael.