Subject: bug#35433: 27.0.50; 'function' docstring: tell more about advantages?

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 05:40:42 +0200

Hello,

I wonder if we should add to the docstring of `function' that when the
argument is a symbol, several checks are performed: it is checked
whether the function will be defined at run-time and whether the
function is obsolete, for example.

The current docstring doesn't suggest that function-quoting symbols has
any advantages, but these warnings are also useful for users' init
files, people that are not always informed what "argument is byte
compiled" implies.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 38, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-04-26 built on drachen
Repository revision: a43eea1bc82acce627d489a32f706572b27e6f7f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid