Subject: bug#35419: [Proposal] Buffer Lenses and the Case of Org-Mode (also, Jupyter)

From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 03:14:33 +0600

чт, 25 апр. 2019 г. в 23:52, Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>:

> Am Do., 25. Apr. 2019 um 10:41 Uhr schrieb Dmitrii Korobeinikov
> <[email-masked]>:
> > I have imagined that at the low level there is an actual data structure
> that keeps the raw textual data and it could be directly shared by multiple
> buffers.
>
> That's what indirect buffers do. Maybe the indirect buffer
> functionality could be beefed up to support what you want?
>

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Indirect-Buffers.html
> The text of the indirect buffer is always identical to the text of its
base buffer; changes made by editing either one are visible immediately in
the other. But in all other respects, the indirect buffer and its base
buffer are completely separate. They can have different names, different
values of point, different narrowing, different markers, different major
modes, and different local variables.

Awesome! Looks like we have some solid rails to drive on.

BTW what's the purpose of lentic-mode then? To be "providing multiple
persistent views"?
https://github.com/phillord/lentic