Subject: Re: bug#35419: [Proposal] Buffer Lenses and the Case of Org-Mode (also, Jupyter)

From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 14:40:27 +0600

> Have you looked at Phil Lord's lentic package?  I think it implements a
> lot of what you're talking about.

> https://github.com/phillord/lentic

This is nice to see!
Indeed, except for embedding, there is a large overlap with what I
described as buffer lenses.

BTW, judging by this description: "changes percolation now happens
incrementally, so only those parts of the buffer are updated. As a result,
lentic now cope with long files with little noticable delay", the buffers
don't share any data and need to sync with the master [linked] buffer.
Is this the best solution? I have imagined that at the low level there is
an actual data structure that keeps the raw textual data and it could be
directly shared by multiple buffers. I mean, when a buffer is saved to a
file, the text doesn't need to be stripped of properties beforehand, right?

чт, 25 апр. 2019 г. в 07:37, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>:

> Dmitrii Korobeinikov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > * Implementation
> >
> >   I am not familiar with Emacs internals to say what's feasible of the
> > proposed structure.
>
> Have you looked at Phil Lord's lentic package?  I think it implements a
> lot of what you're talking about.
>
> https://github.com/phillord/lentic
>