Subject: Re: bug#35418: [PATCH] Don't poll auto-revert files that use notification

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 17:08:45 +0200

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Mattias,

>> So we must document in the Elisp manual, that buffers, which want to
>> participate in global-auto-revert-mode after a renaming, shall change
>> the name via set-visited-file-name.
>
> Are you sure about that? It sounds quite technical. But if you think it
> is necessary, I'll add it.

I'm not sure, of course. But how else can such a buffer participate, if
we don't poll anymore (and refresh the list of buffers to be watched)?
To be tested, I would say.

>> Agreed. Those buffers are special (internal) anyway, it's already
>> tricky to show them. Nobody needs auto-revert for invisible buffers
>> :-)
>
> The revised patch now excludes such non-file buffers. I wonder if
> buffers with file names should be excluded as well. They trivially
> occur when visiting a file whose name starts with a space.

`list-buffers' shows buffers with a leading space, if they are visiting a
file. If they don't visit a file, they are not listed.

I would say we shall apply the same rule.

The patch LGTM. Do you want also add some tests to autorevert-tests.el?

Best regards, Michael.