Subject: Re: Tor Service

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 20:53:50 +0200

Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> Including "tor-service-type" does not invoke and add "tor" 
> package into
> the system.

To use the ‘tor’ command, like any other package, you must install 
the ‘tor’ package into either the system profile (using 
SYSTEM-PACKAGES) or that of your user (using ‘guix package’).

I'd recommend SYSTEM-PACKAGES in this case so the tor commands 
will always match the version of Tor used by the service.

This is by design; services can't pollute the environment of 
users, including the system profile.  That's a good thing.

> Therefore, "tor-service-type" is of little or no use, if it does 
> not
> invoke and add "tor" package into the system.

That's just not true.  The tor service does its job and works just 
fine without the ‘tor’ command.  I just checked both of my Tor 
nodes (both run Guix :-) and neither of them have ‘tor’ installed 
into any profile.  Nyx and herd (and emacs torrc) are all I need 
to administrate them.

I'm closing this because there's no bug here…

Kind regards,

T G-R