Subject: bug#35417: closed (Re: Tor Service)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 18:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35417: Tor Service

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35417: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35417
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Tor Service
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 20:53:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> Including "tor-service-type" does not invoke and add "tor" 
> package into
> the system.

To use the ‘tor’ command, like any other package, you must install 
the ‘tor’ package into either the system profile (using 
SYSTEM-PACKAGES) or that of your user (using ‘guix package’).

I'd recommend SYSTEM-PACKAGES in this case so the tor commands 
will always match the version of Tor used by the service.

This is by design; services can't pollute the environment of 
users, including the system profile.  That's a good thing.

> Therefore, "tor-service-type" is of little or no use, if it does 
> not
> invoke and add "tor" package into the system.

That's just not true.  The tor service does its job and works just 
fine without the ‘tor’ command.  I just checked both of my Tor 
nodes (both run Guix :-) and neither of them have ‘tor’ installed 
into any profile.  Nyx and herd (and emacs torrc) are all I need 
to administrate them.

I'm closing this because there's no bug here…

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: Tor Service
From: Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 12:34:22 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

Including "tor-service-type" does not invoke and add "tor" package into
the system. Without "tor" package, tor commands cannot be used.
Therefore, "tor-service-type" is of little or no use, if it does not
invoke and add "tor" package into the system.

Regards,
RG.