Subject: Re: [bug#35411] [PATCH] Add hedgewars

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:49:09 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +     ;; XXX: Engine is written as Pascal source code, requiring Free Pascal
>> +     ;; Compiler, which we haven't packaged yet.  With the flag below, we use
>> +     ;; a Pascal to C translator and Clang instead.
>
> I tried to package Free Pascal a long time ago, but the compiler is
> written in Pascal and the GNU Pascal compiler which I tried to use for
> bootstrapping could not be built…

Ditto. According to http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf (section
1.2.5), bootstrapping from source is vain.

> What is this Pascal to C translator?  Does this mean that we’re using
> generated C files here?

It is a Haskell program, named pas2c, bundled with hedgewars. See
<https://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/file/tip/tools/pas2c>. AFAIU, it
turns ".pas" files into ".c", and the build process compiles those. IOW,
it looks good enough.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou