Subject: Re: bug#35408: External monitor not working with GDM

From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:12:32 +1000

Hi Danny,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

>> Apr 25 20:30:54 localhost gdm: gdm_session_set_environment_variable:
>> assertion 'value != NULL' failed
>
> Yeah, that one again.  It might make sense to patch that so the assertion
> actually prints name and value passed.
>
> You can also set "debug"'s "Enable=true" in gnu/services/xorg.scm , in
> gdm-configuration-file , but it will only help in a limited way here.

I might need your help with applying the modified xorg.scm - here's what
I tried and the error I got when reconfiguring:

$ cd ws/guix
$ git pull
$ git checkout 33023baac8ec548fe64ce8e4eb48840b5411ee4c

[modify gnu/services/xorg.scm]

$ guix environment guix
$ make clean-go
$ ./bootstrap
$ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
$ make
$ sudo herd stop guix-daemon
$ sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild

And in a separate terminal:

$ sudo su
$ ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure ~ben/guix-config/test.scm
Backtrace:
In ice-9/threads.scm:
    390:8 19 (_ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  2994:20 18 (_)
   2312:4 17 (save-module-excursion _)
  3014:26 16 (_)
In unknown file:
          15 (primitive-load-path "guix/store" #<procedure 23ab9e0 a…>)
In guix/store.scm:
     20:0 14 (_)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   2874:4 13 (define-module* _ #:filename _ #:pure _ #:version _ # _ …)
  2887:24 12 (_)
   222:29 11 (map1 (((guix utils)) ((guix config)) ((guix #)) ((…)) …))
   222:29 10 (map1 (((guix config)) ((guix deprecation)) ((guix …)) …))
   222:29  9 (map1 (((guix deprecation)) ((guix memoization)) ((…)) …))
   222:29  8 (map1 (((guix memoization)) ((guix serialization)) (#) …))
   222:29  7 (map1 (((guix serialization)) ((guix monads)) ((# #)) …))
   222:29  6 (map1 (((guix monads)) ((guix records)) ((guix #)) (#) …))
   222:29  5 (map1 (((guix records)) ((guix base16)) ((guix #)) (#) …))
   222:29  4 (map1 (((guix base16)) ((guix base32)) ((gcrypt #)) # …))
   222:29  3 (map1 (((guix base32)) ((gcrypt hash)) ((guix #)) (#) …))
   222:17  2 (map1 (((gcrypt hash)) ((guix profiling)) ((rnrs #)) # …))
   2803:6  1 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ …)
In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu…" …) …)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (gcrypt hash)