Subject: Re: bug#354: "Added (how many lines, bytes?!) to file.txt"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:17:54 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Gentlemen, (I sound like Prince's "Partyman" song)
> I noticed all append-to-file says is
> "Added to /var/neurdsbeurg.txt".
>
> The problem is often the user thinks "good, thanks", when days later
> he discovers few or no lines got added, that's right, even 0 bytes
> will produce the same message. You see often we are not fully aware of
> the extent of our regions, colored or not, especially when extending
> off the screen.
>
> Therefore I propose you change that message to say instead how many
> line or bytes or characters or both or all three were copied over.
>
> All this of course also applies to write-region.

While the proposed solution of adding information to the message seemed
good in theory, in practice it has turned out to be kind of annoying.
I'm not sure if this is worth adding yet another option that hardly
anyone will use.

Is the problem mainly about writing 0 bytes to a file, perhaps we can
just add a warning for that particular case?

At this point I'm considering just reverting the recent changes for
this, and marking the bug wontfix.