Subject: bug#354: "Added (how many lines, bytes?!) to file.txt"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 14:40:06 -0400

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 04/01/2017 08:55 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>> +           (build_string ("%s %d characters of `%s'"),
>> +            build_string (NUMBERP (append) ? "Updated"
>> +                          : ! NILP (append) ? "Added"
>> +                          : "Wrote"),
>
> This should use AUTO_STRING instead of build_string.

Okay.  (there seems to be a lot of different ways to create a lisp
string object)

> Also, follow the
> old code and use just one string (a format) instead of two, as it's
> more important to use idiomatic English than to save a few bytes in
> the Emacs executable.

I find the code more readable when there is only one format string,
instead of a conditional choosing amongst three.  I'm not sure what you
mean about "idiomatic English" as both versions produce the same text.