Subject: bug#35394: closed (Re: [bug#35394] [PATCH 4/4 v4] Grub i18n)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35394: [PATCH 0/3] Bootloader localization

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35394: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35394
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#35394] [PATCH 4/4 v4] Grub i18n
From: Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:19:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Salut!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hola,
>
> Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> We may end up delaying that post-release if there’s potential for
>>> breakage.  We’ll see.
>>
>> With the release coming this week I wouldn't push anything more of this
>> into this release unless it's the most expected feature, which it isn't
>> by far.  I can test Grub and be really confident about not breaking
>> anything, but I don't almost any experience with the other bootloaders,
>> and neither lots of places nor time to test them.
>
> Sounds good, let’s take it post-release then.
>
> Perhaps we should track it in a different issue and close this one?

Done, probably tomorrow I'll open a new one with a good description and
send the patch there as soon as it's ready.

> Thanks!

Thank you too, very much. :-)

Happy hacking!
Miguel

Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Bootloader localization
From: Miguel <[email-masked]>
To: Guix-devel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 15:17:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

As a Grub translator, I've been hacking a little bit in order to
provide locale information to Grub. I use Guix in a daily basis, as my
main computer operating system, and I this is a key step in order to
provide a better experience to the all kind of users, who may do not
know other languages than their native one.

My current idea, implemented in the following patches, is something
along these lines:
  1. Store locale information into boot-parameters file. This patch
  contains a quite silly test that requires wiser review.
  2. Provide this information to the bootloader at the configuration
  time. This, ideally, should provided at installation time too, but
  I'm stuck seeing my first messages in english when grub asks for the
  whole-disk encryption passphrase as I don't know how to create a
  working core.img yet.
  3. Add a snippet to the generated grub.cfg file with the language
  information. Some configurations, as /boot in a separate partition,
  does not work with this patch, but take it as a proof of concept.

Lacking points:
  1. No support for other bootloaders yet. I don't know any of them too
  much, but I'm unaware of their localization support.
  2. Grub installation process is not transactional enough. I have some
  ideas for that, to be discussed in another thread, although one key
  point is tightly related with this topic: /boot/grub/locale
  generation. Having this folder as a derivation would make explicit
  the dependency, but I have to work more on this and I'm open to any
  ideas.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Miguel