Subject: bug#35393: 26.2; `help-echo' text propertized with `face' is not shown in that face

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 06:10:24 -0700 (PDT)

emacs -Q
C-x b foo ; buffer in fundamental mode

Type a line of arbitrary text.

Type this and evaluate it:

  (put-text-property 1 10 'help-echo "ABCDEFG")

No problem. The tooltip appears as expected, using face `tooltip'.

Now try this instead:

(put-text-property 1 10
  'help-echo (propertize "rstuvwxyz" 'face 'custom-changed))

The propertized string is not used.  The text property `face' is set
correctly, but the tooltip displayed ignores it.

If this is not considered a bug then please consider it an enhancement
request to be able to use a propertized string.

Consider the use case of a tooltip that shows a tiny bit of code, but
with more than one line, so that alignment etc. is important.  You might
well want that code to be shown in a fixed-width font.  You should be
able to do this by passing a string propertized with the appropriate
face.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-04-13
Repository revision: fd1b34bfba8f3f6298df47c8e10b61530426f749
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''