Subject: Re: bug#35393: 26.2; `help-echo' text propertized with `face' is not shown in that face

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:38:34 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now try this instead:
>
> (put-text-property 1 10
>   'help-echo (propertize "rstuvwxyz" 'face 'custom-changed))
>
> The propertized string is not used.  The text property `face' is set
> correctly, but the tooltip displayed ignores it.

So the test case here is basically:

(tooltip-show (propertize "foo" 'face 'error))

This was apparently fixed earlier this year in Emacs 28.  The code is
now:

          ;; Use non-nil APPEND argument below to avoid overriding any
          ;; faces used in our TEXT.  Among other things, this allows
          ;; tooltips to use the `help-key-binding' face used in
          ;; `substitute-command-keys' substitutions.
          (add-face-text-property 0 (length text) 'variable-pitch t text)

So I'm closing this bug report.  If this is still a problem (there's
some difference between different architectures), please respond to the
debbugs address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no