Subject: Re: [bug#35388] [PATCH] gnu: julia: Update to 1.1.0

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 10:43:11 +0200

Hi Nicolò,

Nicolò Balzarotti <[email-masked]> skribis:

> One second problem regards the llvm patches. They should be generic (as stated
> in the link in the patch, [2]) but are actually needed to compile julia (so I
> cannot use pure system llvm, but I don't feel like applying them to system
> llvm all by myself).

OK.

> The .patch files are available in the julia source package: is it ok to place them in the patches folder or shuld I fetch the julia source and extract them during build?

It would be best if they could be downloaded from upstream.  For that
you could use one ‘origin’ for each patch and use them directly in the
‘patches’ field.  Alternately, if that’s more convenient, you could add
one ‘origin’ for the whole repository, and add an ‘apply-patches’ to the
‘llvm-julia’ package that would pick patches in the right place.

Could you also try to provide a commit log listing all the changes that
this patch makes?  You can read ‘git log’ for examples or see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>.

Other than that I think it should be ready to go, and I’m really happy a
newer Julia package is around the corner!

Thank you, and apologies for the delay!

Ludo’.