Subject: Re: bug#35383: 27.0.50; Complete process of decoding Gnus group names

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:08:24 +0900

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 09:53:18 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:21:11 +0900
>> From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
[...]
>> Therefore, adding a coding cookie was originally unnecessary,
>> wasn't it?

> It is not unnecessary, because that file could be visited normally in
> Emacs.  So even if you have to bind coding-system-for-read for some
> reason (and I admit I don't understand the reasons very well, and in
> particular this will not affect 'read' or any other primitive that
> is supposed to be reading from an already decoded buffer/string),
> there are still valid reasons to have the cookie in the file.

Well, I don't know why the active files need a coding cookie, but
what adds it is `gnus-write-active-file' that only gnus-agent and
gnus-cache use; `nnmail-save-active' that many mail back ends use
does not add a coding cookie.  Even so, I have no trouble with my
nnml active file that contains non-ASCII group names.  The file
is utf-8 encoded and it is Emacs' default (IIUC), so I cannot
think any reason why the cookie is required.

(Just in case, we're talking about the gnus-decoded branch.)

Anyway, the error that at least the nnnil active file causes
should be fixed in some way.

Regards,