Subject: Re: bug#35383: 27.0.50; Complete process of decoding Gnus group names

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 08:48:19 +0900

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 10:04:13 -0700, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> On 04/24/19 17:06 PM, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> The root cause is this:
>> (defvar nnmail-file-coding-system 'undecided
>>   "Coding system used in nnmail.")
>> The default value used to be `raw-text'.

> Oh, that was a misunderstanding on my part, then -- I certainly didn't
> mean to change anything about article encoding or display, or anything
> related to MIME. I'll switch that default back again.

Thanks.

I found one more issue, it is harmless though.  An active file
locally saved now has a coding cookie, so `(not (eobp))' at the
line 2150 in gnus-start.el is not enough to check if there is no
more active.  Because of this, when starting Gnus I got

Warning: Warning - invalid active:

for the nnnil method, that is my `gnus-select-method'.  Here are
the contents of ~/News/agent/nnnil/agent.lib/active:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; -*- encoding: utf-8-emacs; -*-

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Why the warning is issued is to run (read (current-buffer)) at
the beginning of the contents.  This is actually an error but
`condition-case' conceals it.  A patch:

--- gnus-start.el~	2019-04-23 05:13:52.741025900 +0000
+++ gnus-start.el	2019-04-24 23:45:37.989239900 +0000
@@ -2149,2 +2149,3 @@
       (goto-char (point-min))
+      (re-search-forward "\\(?:^[\n ]*;.*[\n ]*\\)+" nil t)
       (while (not (eobp))

Regards,