Subject: bug#35383: 27.0.50; Complete process of decoding Gnus group names

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 09:22:03 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Okay, I decided to squash into two commits: the first holding the vast
>> majority of the changes (but still fairly atomic), and the second
>> holding some temporary backward compatibility tomfoolery, which should
>> be replaced by a proper upgrade (including an uptick to Gnus' version)
>> before 27 is released.
>>
>> Speak now! Or... file bug reports later.
>
> Wow.  That's a huge patch.  :-)

Yes it is! Though most of it is just removing calls to
`gnus-group-decoded-name' and associated let bindings. The part I'm
least confident about is the removal of
`nnmail-group-names-not-encoded-p', since there's more filesystem
interaction.

> I've only... skimmed it (if you can call it that), but the main idea is
> sound.  As there isn't any test harness for this, really, I guess the
> only way to find out whether there's any fallout from this change is to
> apply it and see what breaks, and then fix that.  So when it's applied
> you should be on hand to quickly fix breakages over the next week or
> so.  :-)

I haven't come up with any good method of automated testing. I've
started putting "interactive" tests in the gnus-mock package, where you
start up a Gnus instance and then run the tests and watch them go. I
can't think of any better approach right now.

I will definitely be on call for the next few weeks!

Eric