Subject: bug#35380: disk-image fails to install efi grub

From: rendaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 19:27:14 +0900

On 4/25/19 5:44 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi rendaw,
>
> rendaw <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Bug 2: So is it appears disk-image won't build with an EFI bootloader.
>> I'm guessing that qemu is run with a bios boot image here, which is why
>> grub's using i386-pc.
> Exactly: currently QEMU is run with a plain old BIOS, and not with the
> UEFI firmware, so what you want is not implemented yet (see the comment
> in gnu/system/vm.scm:799).
>
> I’m closing this bug, but you can open a wishlist item about it if you
> want!
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I'm not going to comment on the wishlist thing, but this seems like a
fairly huge problem:

1. The documentation doesn't mention this anywhere!  Not in the
bootloader docs, not in the disk-image docs, not in the "limitations",
not in "hardware considerations"

2. I've spent several _days_ now digging through Guix source code and
never found that message. 

3. The build still completes with a successful exit code.  The only way
to find out the image doesn't have a bootloader (-> is unusable) is to
try to boot it