Subject: Re: notmuch-emacs: avoiding deprecated message-default-charset

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 15:25:46 -0400

On Sun 2019-04-21 11:41:22 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When i'm building notmuch in a debian environment with emacs
>> 1:26.1+1-3.2, i notice the following deprecation warnings:
>>
>> In notmuch-maildir-setup-message-for-saving:
>> emacs/notmuch-maildir-fcc.el:172:31:Warning: ‘message-default-charset’ is an
>>     obsolete variable (as of 26.1); The default charset comes from the
>>     language environment
>>
>> I'm not enough of an emacs guru to know the right way to avoid this
>> warning, but i'm hoping that someonen else can take a stab at it, since
>> extraneous warnings make it easier to ignore real problems.
>
> Good question. I looked at message.el in emacs master and it
>
>      1) Obsoletes message-default-charset as in 26.1
>      2) Still uses it in exactly the construction we do.

interesting, thanks for digging that up.

> I'm not sure if it's exactly a reportable bug in emacs, but it is a bit
> annoying.

seems reportable, if not exactly high-severity.  what does upstream
expect downstream users of message-default-charset to do?  I'm
(trying to) forward this to the emacs upstream bugtracker; maybe we can
get guidance from them on what to do.

> There is a variable byte-compile-not-obsolete-vars that (probably) can
> be used to suppress that warning, but it's not clear that's a good
> idea (we currently do something similar for Xapian obsolescence warnings
> that we can't fix).

I would generally try to avoid that kind of a bypass, because i tend to
think that warnings are reasonable to look out for and try to fix before
they become real problems.

      --dkg