Subject: bug#35368: Acknowledgement ([PATCH] Do potentially destructive operations in prepare-commit-msg)

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 14:00:05 +0300

On Вт, Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43, Basil L. Contovounesios 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>  Oh, and while on it: I'm thinking also about automatically filling 
>> the default
>>  commit template (i.e. files changed, functions changed — can be 
>> inferred for C).
>>  I'm wondering, which language would it be acceptable to write hook 
>> in? Python?
> 
> Why not Elisp?  IIUC this already exists as add-change-log-entry.

Ok, cool, thanks folks! Yeah, then I'll probably take a look at it.

Btw, somewhat related: if anybody interested, I can share a bit of 
config: as I figured, many projects (not Emacs though) require to start 
commit message with subsystem they changed, which is often the last 
directory name. So some hours ago I made up a global prepare-commit-msg 
hook that automatically inserts name of the directory 
https://github.com/Hi-Angel/dotfiles/blob/master/.git_hooks/prepare-commit-msg 
(initially I wrote it in sh, but code was too awkward, so I rewrote it 
in Python). To make it work globally write in `core` section of 
~/.gitconfig the `hooksPath = "~/.git_hooks`