Subject: bug#35359: closed (Re: bug#35359: docker-image produces corrupt tar)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35359: docker-image produces corrupt tar

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35359: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35359
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35359: docker-image produces corrupt tar
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: rendaw <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 19:12:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

rendaw <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 4/23/19 1:10 AM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> rendaw <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks! I just did `guix pull` and forced an image rebuild (by changing
>>> host-name)
>> Changing the host name is not needed.  After getting the new Guix most
>> of the packages that should end up in the image would be updated
>> anyway.
>>
>>> but I get the same tar error.
>> I’m guessing that you are not actually using the pulled Guix because
>> your shell may have cached the former location of the “guix”
>> executable.  Please try again with ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix
>> instead of just “guix”.
>>
>> You can also run “hash guix” in Bash to invalidate the cache.
> Thanks, that was the issue. I replaced the path and now the build uses
> fresh packages and the tar is not corrupt. This can be closed.

Excellent.  Thanks for the confirmation!

Closing.

-- 
Ricardo

Subject: docker-image produces corrupt tar
From: rendaw <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 22:44:32 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: guix
Version: 0.16.0

I took the sample system configuration at the top of
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
and ran:

```
$ guix system docker-image testsystem2.scm --on-error=backtrace
successfully built
/gnu/store/l3psqh73xjb5h11y1hwrlfvl1yr920x4-guixsd-docker-image.tar.gz.drv
/gnu/store/giaw69wla9zdf4k7nddyyglvhq3629jq-guixsd-docker-image.tar.gz
$ tar -ztf
/gnu/store/d8rr8ilwm7l0xjachp7glbhp9qf4hjyg-guixsd-docker-image.tar.gz ^C
$ docker load <
/gnu/store/giaw69wla9zdf4k7nddyyglvhq3629jq-guixsd-docker-image.tar.gz
Error processing tar file(exit status 1): unexpected EOF
$ tar -ztf
/gnu/store/giaw69wla9zdf4k7nddyyglvhq3629jq-guixsd-docker-image.tar.gz
./
./41bc17c3316805da9a209f5835327160c8993ab4311c9cb649911a4ae41d1603/
./41bc17c3316805da9a209f5835327160c8993ab4311c9cb649911a4ae41d1603/VERSION
./41bc17c3316805da9a209f5835327160c8993ab4311c9cb649911a4ae41d1603/json
./41bc17c3316805da9a209f5835327160c8993ab4311c9cb649911a4ae41d1603/layer.tar

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
```

Qemu (?) clears my scroll history but I don't see any errors or warnings
from that point on.

My system is pretty typical - x86 Arch Linux with standard core binaries
and such.