Subject: Re: bug#35353: 26.2; Buffer *xref*: (1) hard-coded mouse-1, (2) major mode name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:01:06 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. I use `mouse-1-click-follows-link' = nil.  (I use `mouse-2', not
>    `mouse-1', to follow clicked links, buttons, etc.)  But this
>    setting seems to have no effect in buffer `*xref*'.
>
>    Except by clicking on a file line (it seems), I find it impossible
>    to click `mouse-1' without having Emacs follow a link; impossible
>    to set point in the buffer using `mouse-1'; no way to just click
>    buffer text to select its frame.  What's that all about? 

I've now fixed this in Emacs 29.

> 2. I try `C-h m' or `C-h v major-mode' to find out more about what's
>    going on, and I learn that the major mode is called
>    `xref--xref-buffer-mode'.  Seriously?  Why?  It seems very wrong
>    and unEmacsy to give a major mode an "internal" name.  Users
>    examine major modes.  That's part of the usual help system for
>    even casual users.

That is pretty unusual naming for a major mode, but I don't think it's
worth changing at this point.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no