Subject: Re: bug#35353: 26.2; Buffer *xref*: (1) hard-coded mouse-1, (2) major mode name

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 17:21:23 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Have you heard of 'C-h k'? It's handy.

  > How does that answer the question?

You type C-h k and then generate some event, and it shows what command
that event will run.  That might enable you to find the answer
to your question:

  > > > What is the "show location but don't switch windows"
  > > > action?

So the answer was helpful, or at least had a good chance of being
helpful.  But the way it was written,

  > > Have you heard of 'C-h k'? It's handy.

is not very helpful, because it made you figure out, or guess,
how it related to your question.  It was teasing.

It is kinder to answer in a way that shows explicitly how the
answer relates to the question.  For instance, 

  C-h k followed by generating the event should tell  you
  what command it runs.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)