Subject: Re: bug#35352: 26.2; Xref: (1) no activity indication, (2) no other-window opening

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 23:43:29 +0300

> `dired-do-find-regexp':
>
> 1. After entering the regexp there is no feedback telling you that Emacs
>    has started searching.  Nada.  If you happen to have a search that
>    takes more than a few seconds you can really begin to wonder what, if
>    anything, is going on.  Emacs convention is to say SOMETHING -
>    typically something like "Searching..." - and then to follow that up
>    with an indication when the activity is done -
>    e.g. "Searching...done".
>
> 2. There doesn't seem to be any key binding that opens a search hit in a
>    new window or frame.  I don't want Emacs to replace the source Dired
>    buffer in its window.

I tried to reproduce these problems, but after running in `emacs -Q'
`dired-do-find-regexp' failed with this error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function xref--show-xrefs)
  xref--show-xrefs(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x15789105a071>) nil)
  dired-do-find-regexp("dired-do-find-regexp")
  funcall-interactively(dired-do-find-regexp "dired-do-find-regexp")
  call-interactively(dired-do-find-regexp record nil)
  command-execute(dired-do-find-regexp record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "dired-do-find-regexp" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "dired-do-find-regexp" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)