Subject: 26.2; Xref: (1) no activity indication, (2) no other-window opening

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 20:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

`dired-do-find-regexp':

1. After entering the regexp there is no feedback telling you that Emacs
   has started searching.  Nada.  If you happen to have a search that
   takes more than a few seconds you can really begin to wonder what, if
   anything, is going on.  Emacs convention is to say SOMETHING -
   typically something like "Searching..." - and then to follow that up
   with an indication when the activity is done -
   e.g. "Searching...done".

2. There doesn't seem to be any key binding that opens a search hit in a
   new window or frame.  I don't want Emacs to replace the source Dired
   buffer in its window.

   In my case buffer `*xref*' is in its own dedicated window, in its own
   frame (the buffer is a special-display buffer, based on its name.
   Perhaps such a use case wasn't tested?  Typically Emacs provides
   _some_ key to open things in another window or frame.  Sure, users
   can fiddle to create their own bindings, but I'm surprised the
   default behavior, let alone the only provided behavior, would replace
   the Dired buffer in its window.  Hard to believe anyone would want
   that behavior, but I suppose someone must.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-04-13
Repository revision: fd1b34bfba8f3f6298df47c8e10b61530426f749
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''