Subject: bug#35352: 26.2; Xref: (1) no activity indication, (2) no other-window opening

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 17:15:57 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> `dired-do-find-regexp':
>
> 1. After entering the regexp there is no feedback telling you that Emacs
>    has started searching.  Nada.  If you happen to have a search that
>    takes more than a few seconds you can really begin to wonder what, if
>    anything, is going on.  Emacs convention is to say SOMETHING -
>    typically something like "Searching..." - and then to follow that up
>    with an indication when the activity is done -
>    e.g. "Searching...done".

Makes sense.  I've now made this change in Emacs 28.

> 2. There doesn't seem to be any key binding that opens a search hit in a
>    new window or frame.  I don't want Emacs to replace the source Dired
>    buffer in its window.
>
>    In my case buffer `*xref*' is in its own dedicated window, in its own
>    frame (the buffer is a special-display buffer, based on its name.
>    Perhaps such a use case wasn't tested?  Typically Emacs provides
>    _some_ key to open things in another window or frame.

Well, it depends on the mode.  For instance, I don't think `M-x grep'
has any command to open in a new window/frame, and I don't think we want
to add all those commands to all these modes because users want so many
different combinations here that it's best left to the general
buffer/window selection machinery.

But...  on the other hand, perhaps a standard set of commands (and
keystrokes) for these "follow this 'link'" modes would be nice?  Anybody
got an opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no