Subject: 27.0.50; Lisp reference, "Accepting Output": Should describe what happens to standard error

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 21:36:50 +0200

The Emacs Lisp manual section "Accepting Output" now documents how to
read all output from a process (thanks!).  However, the section still
lacks some discussion what happens to standard error.  Specifically, it
should answer the following questions:

Does the code
(while (accept-process-output PROC))
also ensure that all of the standard error has been read and passed to
the filter/inserted into the buffer?

If not, how to ensure this?

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 44, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-04-19
Repository revision: 0685baf44b1959eda556aafad94f45354b6c1f72
Repository branch: hash-table-contains
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.3

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --without-xml2 --with-modules --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --enable-checking=yes
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton
derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
subr-x rx gnutls puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dbus
xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 59004 6608)
 (symbols 48 7730 1)
 (strings 32 19869 1366)
 (string-bytes 1 656811)
 (vectors 16 11333)
 (vector-slots 8 141146 10566)
 (floats 8 23 15)
 (intervals 56 198 0)
 (buffers 992 11))