Subject: 11.91; AUCTeX/Evince: server does not start, poor direct search, inverse search does not work

From: Cédric Martínez Campos<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 19:58:07 -0500

*** Summary ***
1) Evince server does not start, so each "C-c C-v" issued opens a new
Evince instance, capturing the keyboard focus and bloating the screen.
2) Direct search works partially, it merely searches for the page and
not the specific line.
3) Inverse search simply does not work.

*** Note ***
I have copy-pasted a basic configuration to start a server and
activate direct/inverse search according to this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/I_002fO-Correlation.html
I have also posted this message here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/auctex/+bug/1824257

*** What is to be expected ***
1) Open a .tex file with Emacs/AUCTeX.
2) Compile (C-c C-c).
3) View pdf output (C-c C-v).
>> An Evince server for that file is started.
>> Evince opens the pdf file.
>> Focus is still on Emacs instance.
3) Move to some line (in Emacs).
4) View pdf output (C-c C-v).
>> No new Evince instance is opened for that file.
>> The current Evince instance moves to the specific line corresponding to the cursor position in Emacs.
>> Focus is still on Emacs instance.
5) On Evince "control+left click" some line.
>> Emacs moves to the specific line corresponding to the pointed line in Evince.
>> Emacs instance captures the focus.

*** What happens ***
1) Open a .tex file with Emacs/AUCTeX.
2) Compile (C-c C-c).
3) View pdf output (C-c C-v).
>> No Evince server is started.
>> Evince opens the pdf file.
>> Focus is captured by Evince.
3) Move to some line (in Emacs).
4) View pdf output (C-c C-v).
>> A new Evince instance is opened for that file.
>> The new Evince instance moves to the page (not the line) corresponding to the cursor position in Emacs.
>> Focus is captured by the new Evince instance.
5) On Evince "control+left click" some line.
>> Nothing happens and Winter Is Coming.

*** init.el ***
(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 '(inhibit-startup-screen t)
 '(TeX-source-correlate-method (quote synctex))
 '(TeX-source-correlate-mode t)
 '(TeX-source-correlate-start-server t))

Ubuntu release: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (fully updated as per today)
Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian
Package: 11.91

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2017-07-24"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/var/lib/auctex/emacs25/"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style"
  "/home/myuser/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
  "/home/myuser/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
     TeX-run-TeX nil
     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
     "Run plain TeX")
    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts) %`%S%(mode)%' %t"
     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
    ("ConTeXt"
     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
     "Run BibTeX")
    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
     "Run Viewer")
    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
     "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help
     "Generate PostScript file")
    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help
     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %s" TeX-run-command nil t
     :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
     "Run makeindex to create index file")
    ("upMendex" "upmendex %s" TeX-run-index t t :help
     "Run upmendex to create index file")
    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
     "Run xindy to create index file")
    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
     :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
     :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
     t :help "Spell-check the document")
    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
     "Delete generated intermediate files")
    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
     "Run an arbitrary command")
    )
 )