Subject: bug#35308: GDM refuses to log into Gnome on Debian 9 or 10

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 21:38:29 +0200

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could you indicate me which configuration files I need to tweak?
> My Guix stuff are in ~/.bash_profile.  

I use ~/.profile, as ~/.bash_profile is not sourced in Wayland, IIRC.
But there's nothing fancy in there, just a few exports, e.g.,

  export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="$HOME/dev/guix-packages"
  export SSL_CERT_DIR="$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/ssl/certs"
  export SSL_CERT_FILE="$SSL_CERT_DIR/ca-certificates.crt"

and the two unset directives mentioned in the bug report:

  unset GI_TYPELIB_PATH
  unset XDG_DATA_DIRS

> I do no use XDG (yet) and I have only tried to add export
> XDG_DATA_DIRS with ~/.profile only. I have a guest account which log
> by default to Gnome but I have noticed an issue.

Interestingly, I bisected my packages to the rather minimal:

  (specifications->manifest '("python-matplotlib"))

With a profile containing just this single package, I cannot go past GDM
if I don't unset the two environment variables above.

I assume there is something fishy in this package, or, more probably, in
its propagated inputs. WDYT?