Subject: [bug#35305] LightDM service

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 21:21:08 +0200

L p R n d n <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I built a VM and noticed that all icons are missing.  Should the service
>> arrange for a certain fallback icon theme to be installed?
>
> If you only added (service-type lightdm-service-type) without any
> greeter, it's expected.
> LightDM without autologin needs a greeter. So in this case you just get
> a "fallback" session to avoid unnecesseraly breaking the user's
> system. I choose not to bring lightdm-gtk-greeter's assets to give the
> user a little push toward adding a greeter service.

Ah, now I understand the comment in lightdm-profile-service.

I think the default configuration should take care of all this.  It
seems problematic to me that users specify “greeter-session” as a mere
string, but the corresponding greeter may not even be installed.  That’s
also what’s bothering me about the greeter search directories.

Would it make sense to let “greeter-session” be a *package* instead of a
string?  Then we could specify the lightdm-gtk-greeter package as the
default and use its output directory as the lookup directory for
greeters — instead of the global system profile.

I think this would be more elegant and reduce potential for
misconfiguration.  What do you think about this?

> It's very arguable
> so if you think we should bring in assets too, let's do it. I can
> prepare a patch if you want.

What do you mean by assets?  Which package provides them?

>> I also haven’t actually been able to log in as root with an empty
>> password, which is what the VM generates by default.  Can this be
>> supported with lightdm?
>
> Didn't succeed either but it should be possible... :/
> Looking on the web, on passwordless login, the lightdm-autologin pam is
> often cited so this line:
>
> (pam-entry (control "required") (module "pam_succeed_if.so")
>            (arguments (list "uid >= 1000")))
>
> might be related. But I'm really not knowledgeable enough on this matter
> to give a proper answer.

I can take a look at this and the other PAM questions you had.

--
Ricardo