Subject: bug#35300: 27.0.50; emacsclient on remote sessions no longer works

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 21:52:07 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> I installed into master the attached patch, which should cause
> emacsclient to output something like the following in your situation:
>
> emacsclient: Should XDG_RUNTIME_DIR='/run/user/1000' be in the environment?
> emacsclient: (Be careful: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is security-related.)
>
> I hope this helps.

I have the same reservations expressed by Glenn in emacs-devel, but this
would help me in the wrong way when emacsclient failed on me.

Seeing the message, I'll try this quick hack:

$ XDG_RUNTIME_DIR='/run/user/1000' emacsclient

and that probably would makes things "work".

A more educative message would be something like:

"The environment variable XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set and, since version
27, Emacs depends on it to communicate with the server. Usually this
variable is automatically set by the system at log-in. Check any
configuration that might affect how the environment is build when a user
logs-in."