Subject: bug#35300: 27.0.50; emacsclient on remote sessions no longer works

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:31:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> FWIW, the least emacsclient could do is to inform about its dependency
>> on XDG_RUNTIME_DIR when it fails to connect to the server and that
>> variable is undefined.
>
> Any other missing pieces of information you'd like to be added?

All the documentation I browsed for an hour before figuring out what the
problem was? :-)

> Also, I don't think I understand clearly what exactly failed in your
> case.  Did you have XDG_RUNTIME_DIR defined or didn't you?  If you
> did, what exactly caused the failure to find the socket?

Some time ago I disabled PAM on my sshd_config, because it was not use
for me and it adds complexity to the log-in procedure. Everything worked
fine for years, emacsclient included, until just a few days ago that I
started using Emacs 27 for testing one of the new features.

Really, if XDG_RUNTIME_DIR stays, I volunteer to implement the change I
proposed to emacsclient. But I hope something better is found.