Subject: bug#35300: 27.0.50; emacsclient on remote sessions no longer works

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 16:10:11 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 14:36:27 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Feel free to suggest a more useful text, including for NEWS.
> 
> Since I reported this bug because I was stuck and just now barely
> attained the required knowledge to fix it on my specific case, I'm far
> from being the best qualified person to document anything.

I actually think you are very qualified, because you know what is
missing from the current text.

It would be useful if you could at least point out what information
should be added to the current text to make it more useful to your use
case.  Someone else could then convert that to an actual patch.

Thanks.

> FWIW, the least emacsclient could do is to inform about its dependency
> on XDG_RUNTIME_DIR when it fails to connect to the server and that
> variable is undefined.

Any other missing pieces of information you'd like to be added?

Also, I don't think I understand clearly what exactly failed in your
case.  Did you have XDG_RUNTIME_DIR defined or didn't you?  If you
did, what exactly caused the failure to find the socket?

Thanks.