Subject: bug#35279: closed (Re: bug#35279: emacs-xwidget does not provide support for xwidgets)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 03:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35279: emacs-xwidget does not provide support for xwidgets

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35279: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35279
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35279: emacs-xwidget does not provide support for xwidgets
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Tim Gesthuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 23:36:39 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

[email-masked] writes:

> Tim Gesthuizen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> The section `Building Emacs with the '--with-xwidgets' option now
>> requires WebKit2.` from the Emacs 26.2 news indicates that we probably
>> just need to update to WebKit2 to fix the problem.
>
> this seems to be the case:
>
> $ guix environment -C bash --ad-hoc emacs-xwidget
> [env]$ ldd $(readlink -f $(type -p emacs)) |grep webkit
> 	libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 => /gnu/store/3qfw8flc5rd063pz7m30g77zc9sacphf-webkitgtk-2.26.4/lib/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 (0x00007f59243ea000)
> 	libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18 => /gnu/store/3qfw8flc5rd063pz7m30g77zc9sacphf-webkitgtk-2.26.4/lib/libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18 (0x00007f5922f04000)
>
> $ guix environment -C bash --ad-hoc emacs
> [env]$ ldd $(readlink -f $(type -p emacs)) |grep webkit
>   => nothing
>
>
> so, I think this can be closed.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix build emacs-xwidgets --log-file --no-grafts
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/log/wp8542s2sagm170lskyiq1z96zp5y3gg-emacs-xwidgets-27.1
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ wget https://ci.guix.gnu.org/log/wp8542s2sagm170lskyiq1z96zp5y3gg-emacs-xwidgets-27.1 \
	-O- | zgrep 'support Xwidgets'
Does Emacs support Xwidgets (requires gtk3)?            yes        
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Closing :-).

Maxim

Subject: emacs-xwidget does not provide support for xwidgets
From: Tim Gesthuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 20:56:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,
I noticed that the emacs from the emacs-xwidget package does not
actually provide support for xwidgets.
The last commit I could verify it with is
3ee0e4071e8063f6404f8e7c43f175a80f652112 but the problem was also there
with version 26.1.
You can easily check whether the problem occurs by the build log:
Whether xwidget support will be enabled will be printed at the end of
the configure script. Emacs will happily build versions without xwidget
support even if you specified '--with-xwidgets' on the command line.
Maybe we can add a check to the package definition that checks whether
the emacs-xwidgets build actually supports xwidgets.

The section `Building Emacs with the '--with-xwidgets' option now
requires WebKit2.` from the Emacs 26.2 news indicates that we probably
just need to update to WebKit2 to fix the problem.

Tim.