Subject: bug#35274: guix unable to pull or reconfigure as root

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:08:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I'm running guixSD and I seem to have broken the guix command as root (it 
works as a normal user). How can I fix it? When I run 'guix pull' I get the 
following output:

# guix pull
Updating channel 'guix-nonfree-wingo' from Git repository at 'https://
github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.
org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git    6b11da7
  guix-nonfree-wingohttps://github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git    455d9dd
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... /
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/crqzz377hiw10xdnwbd85sh3qsc7743z-profile.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/bq8gbnk94a2caf1aaljsqnkmi465wqcy-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/7rcx6mhlr2vp593kw5w729k8hp7qsd7k-info-dir.drv
building directory of Info manuals...
Backtrace:
          10 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/22way7ahrxy50splj6qkg0qkifw?")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   721:20  9 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix build #) ?) ?))
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
  1235:36  8 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (# # ?) ?) ?)) ?)
  1182:24  7 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
  1182:24  6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
   285:10  5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  3377:20  4 (process-use-modules _)
   222:17  3 (map1 (((guix build utils)) ((srfi srfi-1)) ((srfi ?)) ?))
  3378:31  2 (_ ((guix build utils)))
   2803:6  1 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu?" ?) ?)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (guix build utils)
builder for `/gnu/store/7rcx6mhlr2vp593kw5w729k8hp7qsd7k-info-dir.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/7rcx6mhlr2vp593kw5w729k8hp7qsd7k-info-dir.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/7r/cx6mhlr2vp593kw5w729k8hp7qsd7k-info
-dir.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/crqzz377hiw10xdnwbd85sh3qsc7743z-
profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/crqzz377hiw10xdnwbd85sh
3qsc7743z-profile.drv' failed
root@yoga-guix /home/timothy/config/guix# guix pull
Updating channel 'guix-nonfree-wingo' from Git repository at 'https://
github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.
org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git    cabe8f1
  guix-nonfree-wingohttps://github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git    455d9dd
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
1.8 MB will be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/adbpzqi725y9ywgsvbnqmj2kjap0853k-compute-guix-derivation
   /gnu/store/bq71g8vg22pc0vx6asyfcnckxqxsg7z7-module-import
   /gnu/store/j1k664ldcwbyg23dkz8icvc0bm2gb5c8-module-import-compiled
substituting /gnu/store/bq71g8vg22pc0vx6asyfcnckxqxsg7z7-module-import...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/bq71g8vg22pc0vx6asyfcnckxqxsg
7z7-module-import...
 module-import  2KiB                  796KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/j1k664ldcwbyg23dkz8icvc0bm2gb5c8-module-import-
compiled...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/j1k664ldcwbyg23dkz8icvc0bm2gb
5c8-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  1.7MiB       802KiB/s 00:02 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/adbpzqi725y9ywgsvbnqmj2kjap0853k-compute-guix-
derivation...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/adbpzqi725y9ywgsvbnqmj2kjap
0853k-compute-guix-derivation...
 compute-guix-derivation  856B        387KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... -
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/mgrfbhnjkib39zq20f560jxvni0aflc2-guix-nonfree-wingo.drv
   /gnu/store/4zisbw8kkagrscibxn2kp75pryyy9dqa-guix-cabe8f184.drv
   /gnu/store/zs7nr84r1wkgx5adcagbr1vj81pg5fhh-guix-daemon.drv
   /gnu/store/v4na6dadh9jk0wpfpwnk28sl2g040v1s-guix-manual.drv
   /gnu/store/sp360c1ryx21vkk5zysv02a0p39fg273-guix-command.drv
   /gnu/store/hlblpwxwv84zcxkhy6nq2cc7bf1vxc1q-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/2yskwsnr04yxlc82sdzb6gp63zainm5j-guix-cabe8f184-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/xac0q5sr622rqbiv9fjaya8cf4v7nm4q-guix-cli-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/r4d37lb61g40kdvapvccblsji4vfg77g-guix-system-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/n3lzz7mm8miw06bpi3fm4hgr5x0irz3w-guix-packages-base-modules.
drv
   /gnu/store/h1bcaa585wbmvdy5g7bf094xp1f1apk9-guix-system-tests-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/h00701smf7rjcia172sr41nyfrvhic8k-guix-config-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/gbbilcxgw31w2l63ki5m2xs50sn94mq5-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/f0my46kkbsiqz33qlyx0gjr5z343rd7r-guix-packages-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/dr6snf6sj20ikym7m5x0hksyik430f90-guix-core-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/9m4yq9ahgsplbv7l3yj2jr496bcfgwqj-guix-extra-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/6sgvllsmahljhlcfavjj7924fg0jpkkh-guix-extra.drv
   /gnu/store/xi1gi30wsi8jkcvwsrvnbdkcqaczs3xr-guix-core.drv
   /gnu/store/whdd49n2bl86z6kmh72rkv320nnk4jhp-guix-core-source.drv
   /gnu/store/6nzxg8cswwqp2rs4xlwgriw2v3w4icyv-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/jmd44dph9nad00pq1fzq5rbn82ba1q05-guix-packages.drv
   /gnu/store/2g5kp3sh8mgy5xn8h4q72jqkcz7n8ddy-guix-packages-base.drv
   /gnu/store/kq16yx9hqyjn4ra2ld2nvj5gvvp70nhy-guix-config-source.drv
   /gnu/store/hhvawn337dch9l6l6rckdhvs2ilgal91-guix-config.drv
   /gnu/store/0xkxpag5p40pm5pw84ibh8hww7cii8kw-config.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/kvmmmgrdg1gmwbq8pm32piichfgxznqn-guix-system-tests.drv
   /gnu/store/zbaakpbhjl975hfa1j3slr68kiw3765p-guix-system.drv
   /gnu/store/9ayhd6bzwpkidh14879i59xw3f6gfawi-guix-cli.drv
   /gnu/store/ihg030qqmxs7vb1gkggfv2ihhy9i97da-guix-module-union.drv
   /gnu/store/ar8457irv9g44x8sf4izlkjjhhfpwdgx-guix-locale-guix.drv
   /gnu/store/5q4am1q2l3xsqavp4jdbnfqhlsrl3an8-guix-locale-guix-packages.drv
   /gnu/store/z9mgfj87zpdw91g553xi32h1w7b7j4mw-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/3jfqfg4c0wssq8lm2av8297dq3ry5kz8-guix-nonfree-wingo.drv
   /gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry42xsrh69z-profile.drv
The following graft will be made:
   /gnu/store/pz1bg55glariad6wcsn7ijnnxw7djdi3-graphviz-2.40.1.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/71ykizf5m0mq9awk9nlfaa8i0a1k6ycf-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/rmfinlzdykwk2zb4d4jqggjlyhks0fxv-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/zng7c6a5q0v70yn1x4b5zmsbs3260440-fonts-dir.drv
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substituting /gnu/store/h54q3zlavg8igrqz67ia6lw76zdy8zvd-guix-manual...
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/h54q3zlavg8igrqz67ia6lw76zdy8
zvd-guix-manual...
 guix-manual  2.6MiB                388.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/blp6ifpnds5q3a4d2lqccwkp5qs6qr0r-config.scm...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/blp6ifpnds5q3a4d2lqccwkp5qs6
qr0r-config.scm...
 config.scm  671B                     343KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/lr464ib0a3k0prnwzz4d57qk1avfwiyr-guix-config...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/lr464ib0a3k0prnwzz4d57qk1
avfwiyr-guix-config...
 guix-config  4KiB                    1.8MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/h106yak0z1shi5fzyq144dxdmjd0zpss-guix-config-
source...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/h106yak0z1shi5fzyq144dxdmjd0
zpss-guix-config-source...
 guix-config-source  180B              62KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/h95phrqzsnvixma7i8ci7kwn622w3n90-guix-core...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/h95phrqzsnvixma7i8ci7kwn622w3
n90-guix-core...
 guix-core  1.7MiB                    769KiB/s 00:02 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/hnfvhlmg7y6k9mjagxlk6bdx6a6rgx73-guix-config-
modules...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/hnfvhlmg7y6k9mjagxlk6bdx6a6
rgx73-guix-config-modules...
 guix-config-modules  270B            122KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/hhzalnzks723jadhhi56kag8zpq2lqpz-guix-core-source...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/hhzalnzks723jadhhi56kag8zpq2
lqpz-guix-core-source...
 guix-core-source  2KiB               803KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/slashh3xz7608b5r9hr9g003lqbbasnr-guix-extra...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/slashh3xz7608b5r9hr9g003
lqbbasnr-guix-extra...
 guix-extra  2.2MiB                   807KiB/s 00:03 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/6ff7p6lzvykmhfj1a1a6l8bjmm146ca2-guix-core-
modules...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/6ff7p6lzvykmhfj1a1a6l8bjmm146
ca2-guix-core-modules...
 guix-core-modules  267B              135KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/y28a946pqkjr9l68paw7a1ajdd65yzwk-guix-extra-
modules...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/y28a946pqkjr9l68paw7a1ajdd65
yzwk-guix-extra-modules...
 guix-extra-modules  268B              65KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/a3mdlq0919f9z541x661wd1wc69rwbhg-guix-locale-guix...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/a3mdlq0919f9z541x661wd1wc69
rwbhg-guix-locale-guix...
 guix-locale-guix  184KiB             552KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/rczg59vz1aw0fmvz23j5dfyigbnhb7ij-guix-locale-guix-
packages...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/rczg59vz1aw0fmvz23j5dfyigbnhb
7ij-guix-locale-guix-packages...
 guix-locale-guix-packages  142KiB    395KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/fi037bcbjna4v5jc4lak62y6nsrv5af4-guix-packages...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/fi037bcbjna4v5jc4lak62y6nsrv5
af4-guix-packages...
 guix-packages  6.0MiB                836KiB/s 00:07 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/p16y33vqp0pnhd6i4a477f2h3fccg0r4-guix-packages-
base...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/p16y33vqp0pnhd6i4a477f2h3fccg
0r4-guix-packages-base...
 guix-packages-base  13.3MiB          941KiB/s 00:14 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/gbmx14s06mvcgqmx156p7xif4gmgq2cz-guix-packages-
modules...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/gbmx14s06mvcgqmx156p7xif4gmgq
2cz-guix-packages-modules...
 guix-packages-modules  270B           87KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/z44whzhr2yhmkdcj514iy2y3nqj9bcvs-guix-packages-base-
modules...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/z44whzhr2yhmkdcj514iy2y3nqj9
bcvs-guix-packages-base-modules...
 guix-packages-base-modules  276B     132KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/7l35v4hrc21apkq3b030pg84nlc2s4nl-module-import-
compiled...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/7l35v4hrc21apkq3b030pg84nlc2s
4nl-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  125KiB       632KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/kyx4mx1n2ln0qx80j7y9c0gdczkb4xlb-module-import-
compiled...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/kyx4mx1n2ln0qx80j7y9c0gdczkb4
xlb-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  9KiB         3.9MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

substituting /gnu/store/syp239hi3xjgxdm8r4hvhhzh67i5ixgl-module-import-
compiled...
downloading from https://ci.guix.info/nar/gzip/syp239hi3xjgxdm8r4hvhhzh67i5
ixgl-module-import-compiled...
 module-import-compiled  45KiB        1.0MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 
100.0%

building /gnu/store/zbaakpbhjl975hfa1j3slr68kiw3765p-guix-system.drv...
[136/136] compiling...    100.0% of 68 files
successfully built /gnu/store/zbaakpbhjl975hfa1j3slr68kiw3765p-guix-system.
drv
building /gnu/store/9ayhd6bzwpkidh14879i59xw3f6gfawi-guix-cli.drv...
[ 92/ 92] compiling...    100.0% of 46 files
successfully built /gnu/store/9ayhd6bzwpkidh14879i59xw3f6gfawi-guix-cli.drv
building /gnu/store/r4d37lb61g40kdvapvccblsji4vfg77g-guix-system-modules.
drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/r4d37lb61g40kdvapvccblsji4vfg77g-guix-system-
modules.drv
building /gnu/store/xac0q5sr622rqbiv9fjaya8cf4v7nm4q-guix-cli-modules.drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/xac0q5sr622rqbiv9fjaya8cf4v7nm4q-guix-cli-
modules.drv
building /gnu/store/kvmmmgrdg1gmwbq8pm32piichfgxznqn-guix-system-tests.
drv...
[  5/ 38] loading...     26.3% of 19 filesrandom seed for tests: 1555236667
[ 38/ 38] compiling...    100.0% of 19 files
successfully built /gnu/store/kvmmmgrdg1gmwbq8pm32piichfgxznqn-guix-system-
tests.drv
building /gnu/store/h1bcaa585wbmvdy5g7bf094xp1f1apk9-guix-system-tests-
modules.drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/h1bcaa585wbmvdy5g7bf094xp1f1apk9-guix-system-
tests-modules.drv
building /gnu/store/2yskwsnr04yxlc82sdzb6gp63zainm5j-guix-cabe8f184-modules.
drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/2yskwsnr04yxlc82sdzb6gp63zainm5j-guix-cabe8f
184-modules.drv
building /gnu/store/ihg030qqmxs7vb1gkggfv2ihhy9i97da-guix-module-union.
drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/ihg030qqmxs7vb1gkggfv2ihhy9i97da-guix-module-
union.drv
building /gnu/store/sp360c1ryx21vkk5zysv02a0p39fg273-guix-command.drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/sp360c1ryx21vkk5zysv02a0p39fg273-guix-command.
drv
building /gnu/store/zs7nr84r1wkgx5adcagbr1vj81pg5fhh-guix-daemon.drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/zs7nr84r1wkgx5adcagbr1vj81pg5fhh-guix-daemon.
drv
building /gnu/store/4zisbw8kkagrscibxn2kp75pryyy9dqa-guix-cabe8f184.drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/4zisbw8kkagrscibxn2kp75pryyy9dqa-guix-cabe8f
184.drv
building /gnu/store/3jfqfg4c0wssq8lm2av8297dq3ry5kz8-guix-nonfree-wingo.
drv...
[ 1/ 1] Compiling './gnu/packages/linux-nonfree.scm'...
successfully built /gnu/store/3jfqfg4c0wssq8lm2av8297dq3ry5kz8-guix-nonfree-
wingo.drv
building /gnu/store/z9mgfj87zpdw91g553xi32h1w7b7j4mw-module-import-compiled.
drv...
[ 1/ 1] Compiling './guix/build/utils.scm'...
successfully built /gnu/store/z9mgfj87zpdw91g553xi32h1w7b7j4mw-module-import
-compiled.drv
building /gnu/store/mgrfbhnjkib39zq20f560jxvni0aflc2-guix-nonfree-wingo.
drv...
successfully built /gnu/store/mgrfbhnjkib39zq20f560jxvni0aflc2-guix-nonfree-
wingo.drv
building CA certificate bundle...
successfully built /gnu/store/rmfinlzdykwk2zb4d4jqggjlyhks0fxv-ca-
certificate-bundle.drv
building fonts directory...
successfully built /gnu/store/zng7c6a5q0v70yn1x4b5zmsbs3260440-fonts-dir.drv
building directory of Info manuals...
Backtrace:
          10 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/0f4zf4bnfasysq3lsc0a6rfcsp6?")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   721:20  9 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix build #) ?) ?))
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
  1235:36  8 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (# # ?) ?) ?)) ?)
  1182:24  7 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
  1182:24  6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
   285:10  5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  3377:20  4 (process-use-modules _)
   222:17  3 (map1 (((guix build utils)) ((srfi srfi-1)) ((srfi ?)) ?))
  3378:31  2 (_ ((guix build utils)))
   2803:6  1 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu?" ?) ?)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (guix build utils)
builder for `/gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/21/dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info
-dir.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry42xsrh69z-
profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry
42xsrh69z-profile.drv' failed
root@yoga-guix /home/timothy/config/guix# guix system reconfigure config.scm

guix system: warning: Your Guix installation is 27 days old.
guix system: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix system reconfigure' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/3jkq4vaah10y2j0lvf17cb2cn2krplbz-boot.drv
   /gnu/store/jdp3xs6r77cbhpg114k2q9ss3j31vhin-shepherd.conf.drv
   /gnu/store/07a6r0b2rr8ikjcf0h55zhvbyv37if7d-shepherd-xorg-server.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/2a3104fxa3hvmfm4syisc2qqlikkqhlj-slim.cfg.drv
   /gnu/store/hv8zpm7ga51sd18pn48nldpz3y99mvi8-startx.drv
   /gnu/store/6hf4bdrzad3g22wsk86784s315zf9bd0-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/xhlgdwg6q4qmim13k0yak1jpmjpk5c35-grub.cfg.drv
   /gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/47j444pc8p124kry7fy2bz5bsssbxh4f-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/jk70lskj0v8bqfb76qyhr0wk3qwsy9w3-xdg-mime-database.drv
   /gnu/store/ypvrn8ymv0xnppy34jg8kqrppkdwbddz-xdg-desktop-database.drv
building directory of Info manuals...
builder for `/gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/5z/ih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info
-dir.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/6hf4bdrzad3g22wsk86784s315zf9bd0-
profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
building /gnu/store/hv8zpm7ga51sd18pn48nldpz3y99mvi8-startx.drv...
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.
drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix system: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2
rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.drv' failed
root@yoga-guix /home/timothy/config/guix# guix pull
Updating channel 'guix-nonfree-wingo' from Git repository at 'https://
github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git'...
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.
org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git    cabe8f1
  guix-nonfree-wingohttps://github.com/wingo/guix-nonfree.git    455d9dd
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... /
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry42xsrh69z-profile.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/71ykizf5m0mq9awk9nlfaa8i0a1k6ycf-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv
building directory of Info manuals...
Backtrace:
          10 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/0f4zf4bnfasysq3lsc0a6rfcsp6?")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   721:20  9 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix build #) ?) ?))
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
  1235:36  8 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (# # ?) ?) ?)) ?)
  1182:24  7 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
  1182:24  6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
   285:10  5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  3377:20  4 (process-use-modules _)
   222:17  3 (map1 (((guix build utils)) ((srfi srfi-1)) ((srfi ?)) ?))
  3378:31  2 (_ ((guix build utils)))
   2803:6  1 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu?" ?) ?)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (guix build utils)
builder for `/gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/21dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info-dir.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/21/dpv46d3bqxivs7mq0jqic6d5hdjmph-info
-dir.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry42xsrh69z-
profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/1108wbnyinkgpndfrbs62ry
42xsrh69z-profile.drv' failed

When I run guix system reconfigure I get a similar error:

# cat config.scm

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix download) (guix packages));(gnu 
services docker))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(define %trezor-udev-rule
  (file->udev-rule
    "51-android-udev.rules"
    (let ((version "dddc6289742f6e0cb7f8feec13dbabe199111dc1"))
      (origin
       (method url-fetch)
       (uri (string-append "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/trezor/trezor-
common/"
                           version "/udev/51-trezor.rules"))
       (sha256 (base32 "06yqq3ydakigfv1mjl4hjzy3q5k6j4l9ly4n3ahx6h5rc8jy7bf
8"))))))

(operating-system
  (host-name "yoga-guix")
  (timezone "Europe/Prague")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")
  ;(kernel linux-nonfree)
  ;(firmware (append (list
  ;                   iwlwifi-firmware-nonfree)
  ;                  %base-firmware))

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (target "/boot/efi")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  (mapped-devices
   (list (mapped-device
          (source (uuid "b36255d2-ecc5-428f-87c3-cca2a7e59b25"))
          (target "my-root")
          (type luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                      (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (mount-point "/boot/efi")
                        (type "vfat")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                      %base-file-systems)))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "timothy")
                (comment "Main account")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video")
                                      ); "docker"))
                (home-directory "/home/timothy"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
                   ;(service docker-service-type)
                   (modify-services %desktop-services
   (udev-service-type config =>
     (udev-configuration (inherit config)
      (rules (append (udev-configuration-rules config)
                     (list %trezor-udev-rule))))))))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

# guix system reconfigure config.scm 
guix system: warning: Your Guix installation is 27 days old.
guix system: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix system reconfigure' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.

The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/3jkq4vaah10y2j0lvf17cb2cn2krplbz-boot.drv
   /gnu/store/jdp3xs6r77cbhpg114k2q9ss3j31vhin-shepherd.conf.drv
   /gnu/store/07a6r0b2rr8ikjcf0h55zhvbyv37if7d-shepherd-xorg-server.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/2a3104fxa3hvmfm4syisc2qqlikkqhlj-slim.cfg.drv
   /gnu/store/hv8zpm7ga51sd18pn48nldpz3y99mvi8-startx.drv
   /gnu/store/6hf4bdrzad3g22wsk86784s315zf9bd0-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/xhlgdwg6q4qmim13k0yak1jpmjpk5c35-grub.cfg.drv
   /gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/47j444pc8p124kry7fy2bz5bsssbxh4f-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/jk70lskj0v8bqfb76qyhr0wk3qwsy9w3-xdg-mime-database.drv
   /gnu/store/ypvrn8ymv0xnppy34jg8kqrppkdwbddz-xdg-desktop-database.drv
building directory of Info manuals...
builder for `/gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv' 
failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/5zih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info-dir.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/5z/ih3px96j4fllllcyngp95sq8211d6f-info
-dir.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/6hf4bdrzad3g22wsk86784s315zf9bd0-
profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
building /gnu/store/hv8zpm7ga51sd18pn48nldpz3y99mvi8-startx.drv...
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.
drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix system: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/pwd9mfvijn0b83n2
rxmfkdmfqc1qxspr-system.drv' failed

Interestingly, I can apparently still install packages as a normal user. 
"guix package -i vim" still works.

$ guix package -i vim
guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 28 days old.
guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.

The following package will be upgraded:
   vim    8.1.0644 → 8.1.0644    /gnu/store/xpmgf3qa7ygz89829275qv3af5l0m790
-vim-8.1.0644

substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/9r6wv1z2bv4qvixbpbx00ivabbag1w71-profile.drv
The following profile hooks will be built:
   /gnu/store/9nigd5asmabi8fy3hnxmip7flx5spwn2-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/4l73z6bkk92cm2igv276bvl4fzjs7n7i-xdg-mime-database.drv
   /gnu/store/9y5lq4ygxiv30mbcjwvmpcc6qdv6d40x-gtk-im-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/aw9q4nra3h7kk2dp925rjvlmz8143xpk-fonts-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/ipql4jmlhazxx1vzwbhgw5sp37y22py7-ghc-package-cache.drv
   /gnu/store/j2qc11mc9adwks7zs5drfqwrckdhg05d-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/p554ffq3lriv78gjnxy2jibnh7qxrnc2-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/r08v8pcvxp3kij62f578a68fj8487sbk-xdg-desktop-database.drv
   /gnu/store/xpf1m7a7pwaaf8sc117b7kb6scjvkpdk-glib-schemas.drv
   /gnu/store/zgjqrs8i7q3j6l9y2d959yac4m7515mq-gtk-icon-themes.drv
building CA certificate bundle...
building fonts directory...
building GHC package cache...
generating GLib schema cache...
creating GTK+ icon theme cache...
building cache files for GTK+ input methods...
building directory of Info manuals...
building database for manual pages...
building XDG desktop file cache...
building XDG MIME database...
building /gnu/store/9r6wv1z2bv4qvixbpbx00ivabbag1w71-profile.drv...
89 packages in profile