Subject: Re: bug#35270: 27.0.50; gnus nnimap weird interaction between select methods

From: Deus Max <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:38:50 +0300

On Wed, Apr 24 2019, Deus Max wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23 2019, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>>
>> You might as well get rid of this too, as it's no longer used.
>>
>> The only other thing I can think of is setting `gnus-verbose' to 10 and
>> showing us all the messages: that will at least tell you a little bit
>> more about what Gnus thinks it's doing.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Great advice, thank you. I'll get rid of all the unnecessary stuff, as
> you suggest and re-run with gnus-verbose 10 !
> I'm curious to see the outcome !

Well that was interesting !

The first surprise was when setting setting gnus-verbose and
gnus-verbose-backend, then running "M-x gnus", barely made a difference
to the amount of messages displayed !

After a few trials of tinkering with the customize variables, where
sometimes everything just worked and others back to square 1, the
culprit was identified as variable gnus-message-archive-method set to
'(nnimap "gmx").

Probably, having the gmx as the "primary" imap selection
(gnus-select-method) resulted in some interaction making the gmx groups
appear both as nnimap+gmx:Group and as plain Group (default).

Apparently, I don't understand well enough how the variables
gnus-message-archive-group and gnus-message-archive-method are supposed
to work.
Basically, since I use nnimap, when composing a new
message I don't want to see Gcc set to a nnfolder+archive group, but set
the current imap group. The following values now seem to work:
    : '(gnus-message-archive-group '(lambda (grp) (if grp gnus-newsgroup-name "Send-Mail")))
    : '(gnus-message-archive-method "nnimap")