Subject: bug#35261: 26.1; EBDB Documentation

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 18:50:26 -0700

David Masterson <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a documentation problem for EBDB.
>
> The documentation lacks clarity on how to setup EBDB for the first time
> in the case where you are *not* converting from BBDB or Org Contacts.
> More information is needed on how to create an EBDB database for the
> first time, how to setup the first record(s) that you put into the
> database, and (perhaps) an example session.  As it is, the documentation
> is too esoteric for someone unfamiliar with EBDB (or BBDB) concepts to
> make heads or tails of it and get their feet wet.

Thanks for this report. Here's what the docs have now:

Assuming you have no records you want to migrate from other contact
management software, it is enough to call the top-level ~ebdb~ command.
This will create a new database at the location specified by
~ebdb-sources~ (see [The EBDB Database]), prompt you for a search
string, fail to find anything (because you don't have any records yet),
and finally open a EBDB buffer where you can start to make new records
(see [Creating Records]).

This is correct, though admittedly terse! I suppose I could break this
out more specifically: you should set `ebdb-sources' in advance. Then
you can create your new database either by calling the `ebdb' command,
or by associating EBDB with a mail user agent, and letting that agent
create records for you.

Or perhaps, if you have no records, the `ebdb' command could simply open
an *EBDB* buffer and then tell you, "you have no records, use 'c' to
create one"?

WDYT?