Subject: bug#35257: eshell and xclip

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:51:13 +0200

On Apr 14 2019, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:

> With eshell bugs, it's often a good idea to reproduce the issue with
> some plain lisp calls (if possible).  The simplest way to call external
> processes from Emacs is with call-process:
>
>     (progn (with-temp-file "/tmp/foo"
>              (insert "foo"))
>            (call-process "xclip" "/tmp/foo" '(t t) t "-i"))
>
> But that just hangs until C-g.

This is because xclip forks a background process that holds the
selection.  With eshell, that background process is killed immediately
(due to its lack of job control), so the selection is lost.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."