Subject: bug#35253: closed (Re: bug#35253: emacs-27.0.50_2019-01-17; `-nw' option causes core dump)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35253: emacs-27.0.50_2019-01-17; `-nw' option causes core dump

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35253: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35253
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35253: emacs-27.0.50_2019-01-17; `-nw' option causes core dump
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:31:14 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
> Comments: In-reply-to Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>    message dated "Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:41:11 +0300."
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 17:32:10 +0900
> 
> > Also, does "_2019-01-17" above mean that this is a Jan 2019 snapshot
> > of the development sources?  Because I think this problem was already
> > reported and fixed since then, with this fragment at the end of
> > coding.c in the current sources:
> >
> >   /* In temacs the below is done by mule-conf.el, because we need to
> >      define us-ascii first.  But in dumped Emacs us-ascii is restored
> >      by the above loop, and mule-conf.el will not be loaded, so we set
> >      it up now; otherwise safe_terminal_coding will remain zeroed.  */
> >   Fset_safe_terminal_coding_system_internal (Qus_ascii);
> 
>  Thank you for an action.
> 
>  As you guess, I used a Jan 2019 snapshot of the development sources
>  got from http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest.
> 
>  A segmentation fault occurs in the function `encode_coding()',
>  when refering `coding->encoder' (`coding' is null at that point).
> 
>  So, I'm sure my bug report has already fixed.

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: emacs-27.0.50_2019-01-17; `-nw' option causes core dump
From: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 11:40:02 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 emacs-27.0.50_2019-01-17 built with following configuration dumps core
 (segmentaion fault), when `-nw' option is specified.

 When built it with `--with-pdumper=no --with-dumping=unexec'
 configuration options, it works fine with `-nw' option.

 I suspected the reinitialization after loading a pdmp file is
 inadequate, and found the next patch fixes the problem.

--- src/coding.c-ORIG   2019-01-17 19:31:05.000000000 +0900
+++ src/coding.c        2019-04-13 10:53:04.819899000 +0900
@@ -11341,4 +11341,5 @@
           setup_coding_system (CODING_ID_NAME (id), this);
         }
     }
+  setup_coding_system (Qno_conversion, &safe_terminal_coding);
 }

#------------------------------------------------------------------------
In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-freebsd11, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2019-04-13 built on hz550
System Description: 11.2-STABLE

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start-27.x.el (source)...done
Waiting for git... [2 times]
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure amd64-freebsd11
 --srcdir=/usr/src/local/GNU/emacs/emacs-27.0.50 --with-x
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-xim --with-modules --without-pop
 --without-xpm --without-jpeg --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png
 --without-rsvg --without-imagemagick --without-gpm --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-sound
 --without-gnutls LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
XAW3D NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS CANNOT_DUMP LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-compat ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time format-spec advice auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib japan-util ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr disp-table mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 178146 7158)
 (symbols 48 8084 1)
 (strings 32 23697 2126)
 (string-bytes 1 790174)
 (vectors 16 31725)
 (vector-slots 8 421034 10170)
 (floats 8 275 289)
 (intervals 56 140 0)
 (buffers 992 11))