Subject: Re: [bug#35234] [PATCH] gnu: Add the-dark-mod.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 11:02:02 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thoughts?
>
> Now, I would hope that the free game engine could serve as the basis for
> a free game, with free game data as well.

Absolutely.  Technically all those engines can be re-used for
fully-free game development.

There is a blurred line however between the means and the ends here.
For instance, lots of packages we have in Guix can be used to deal with
some proprietary data, from web browsers to video players, you name it.

My take at this issue is that free game engines are a first step towards
liberating the video game industry further.  If we don't allow the
opportunity for free game engines in the first place, free game data
will never be worked on.

Guix stands mostly (but not only) for free software.  Game data is a
whole different battle though, and I'm not sure it's the role of Guix to
fight this one.  If we can encourage freedom, however, by supporting the
first step towards "free game data," then it's a win for freedom in my
opinion.  The reverse could be more damaging to the users' freedom in
the long run than protecting it.

The Dark Mod is fully free, the game data is under some CC, so I'll
commit the package if there is no objection.

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/