Subject: Re: [bug#35234] [PATCH] gnu: Add the-dark-mod.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 16:13:47 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:
[…]
>> First: what game engines do we provide that can only be used with
>> proprietary game data?
>
> OpenMW, Arx Libertatis, OpenRCT2, off the top of my head.

Hmm, that’s not good then.  I think we should take a closer look at them
to decide whether they should be removed.

The description of Arx Libertatis says this:

   Arx Libertatis is a cross-platform, open source port of Arx Fatalis,
   a 2002 first-person role-playing game / dungeon crawler developed by
   Arkane Studios.  This port however does not include the game data, so
   you need to obtain a copy of the original Arx Fatalis or its demo to
   play Arx Libertatis.[…]

Aside from the “open source” mention I don’t think it’s right for us to
recommend that users obtain a copy of a proprietary game.

> Maybe some forks of the Doom 1 & 2 engines too.

I think these are fine, because there are numerous games based on these
engines

--
Ricardo