Subject: bug#35222: closed (Re: bug#35222: 26.1; `read-command' documentation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 14:03:03 +0000

Your bug report

#35222: 26.1; `read-command' documentation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35222: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35222
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35222: 26.1; `read-command' documentation
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 17:02:20 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> 1. The doc string does not say what happens if DEFAULT is not provided
>    (so `nil') and the user enters empty input.  And what happens is not
>    obvious.  Please add that information to the doc string.

Thanks, fixed.

> 2. What does happen?  Well, it's documented in (elisp) `High-Level
>    Completion'.  But please add information to that Info node that helps
>    users understand a return value that is an empty-named interned
>    symbol, which has the print and read syntax `##'.  It's pretty
>    unusual for the default behavior of a read command to return such an
>    odd beast.  (The default behavior is the case when arg DEFAULT is
>    absent, hence `nil'.)  And please provide a cross-reference to node
>    `Symbol Type', which explains this syntax.

Done.

Subject: 26.1; `read-command' documentation
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. The doc string does not say what happens if DEFAULT is not provided
   (so `nil') and the user enters empty input.  And what happens is not
   obvious.  Please add that information to the doc string.

2. What does happen?  Well, it's documented in (elisp) `High-Level
   Completion'.  But please add information to that Info node that helps
   users understand a return value that is an empty-named interned
   symbol, which has the print and read syntax `##'.  It's pretty
   unusual for the default behavior of a read command to return such an
   odd beast.  (The default behavior is the case when arg DEFAULT is
   absent, hence `nil'.)  And please provide a cross-reference to node
   `Symbol Type', which explains this syntax.

   User code that tests the result of `read-command' typically needs to
   deal with the default DEFAULT case, hence with the possibility of the
   function returning an uninterned symbol.  Users need to be aware of
   this possibility - it's a gotcha.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-30
Repository revision: 07f8f9bc5a51f5aa94eb099f3e15fbe0c20ea1ea
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''